The Rotary Club of Georgetown proudly presents the first annual Field of Honor® in Central Texas in cooperation with the City of Georgetown. This truly inspiring event will pay tribute to our valued veterans, active and reserve duty military, first responders, and personal heroes during the week of Veterans Day from November 5th to November 12th, 2017.
A stunning and emotion-filled display of over 1400 full sized U.S. flags will be posted at San Gabriel Park’s activity field, each flag having been purchased by individuals in tribute to a veteran, military member, first responder, or their own personal heroes. It is a week to honor and express thanks to all who selflessly serve. It is also a time to educate. Visitors to the field will enjoy a display of all the American flags throughout history, and will be moved by the sections for each branch, to those that pay tribute to those who earned the highest military honors, and to those who paid the ultimate price.
The Field of Honor® proceeds will benefit local veterans and first responders and their families. This fundraiser will support providing service dogs to veterans with PTSD (or other need that requires a service dog). First responders and their families will also benefit through organizations that support wounded or fallen officers, firefighters, and their families. This year, Georgetown police officers will also receive upgraded tactical vests to protect them against armor piercing bullets.
Some of the proceeds of the Patriots Ball will also help support the many local Rotary projects that benefit our communities such as scholarships, handicap ramps, leadership development for high school and elementary school kids, literacy programs, and much more. All donations go to the Rotary Club of Georgetown Foundation, a 501c3 organization.
This event will be enjoyed by the whole community – including the young and the young at heart. All can participate in the various activities throughout the week. This is the first year of a new annual tradition in cooperation with the City of Georgetown. It is an exclusively licensed event in Central Texas through the Colonial Flag Foundation in Sandy, UT. www.healingfield.org.
Among the events of the week are as follows:
- Opening Ceremonies ~ Sunday, November 5th, 2:00 p.m.
- A Patriotic Chalk Walk provided by local artists ~ Begins Sunday, November 5th and continues all week.
- Multi-Rotary Club Meeting ~ Monday, November 6th, 11:30 – 1:30 p.m. (by invitation only)
- Boy Scout Flag Retirement Ceremony ~ Wednesday, November 8th, 7:00 p.m.
- A free Patriotic Concert ~ Thursday, November 9th, 7:00 p.m.
- Patriots Ball to honor local veterans and first responders ~ Sheraton Hotel, Saturday, November 11th, 5:00 p.m. registration, 6:00 pm. dinner and dancing
- First Responder Day – Sunday, November 12th, sponsored by the Georgetown police and fire departments
- Local school kids will take field trips to learn about our flag’s history throughout the week
The Rotary Club of Georgetown has a membership of 120+ members that commit to the motto of Service Above Self, and whom agree to live by the following standards of integrity known as the Four Way Test:
First: Is it the TRUTH
Second: Is it FAIR to all concerned
Third: Will it build GOOD WILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS
Fourth: Will it be BENEFICIAL TO ALL CONCERNED
In all cases, The Field of Honor® meets those standards.
The Rotary Club of Georgetown is honored to present this event to the citizens of this area. Join us in spreading the word! #GeorgetownTXFieldOfHonor2017